QueerLab is a youth-led media program exploring LGBTQ experience in North Carolina. Each QueerLab session brings together an editorial team of queer identifying youth to publish I Don’t Do Boxes, and organize workshops focused on creative media production and digital storytelling.
QUEERLAB WORKSHOPS: SPRING 2014
Join us for QueerLab workshops every other Wednesday from 6-8pm this April and May 2014. All workshops are free and open to all, hosted at Elsewhere in downtown Greensboro, NC (606 South Elm Street).
- April 2nd: Band 101: A Technical and Creative Toolbox with QORDS | An introductory course on the fundamentals of musicianship, the ins and outs of being in a band, and explore creative song writing processes, as well as engage in hands-on activities with drums, guitars, amps, mics, and other sound-making mediums.
- April 16th: Podcasting and Interview Basics | Learn the art of interviewing and how to ask the right questions. We’ll also explore the ins and outs of creating a podcast, how to use a field recorder and practice interviewing each other using Elsewhere’s museum and our own stories as inspiration.
- April 30: Vocal Improvisation Workshop with Quilla | Ever wanted to sing your heart out, but were too afraid? Join this safe space where everyone is welcome, whether you are a beginner singer, expert yodeler or anything in between. Learn to unleash your inner beast! Drop beats, not bombs. Let your voice soar to new heights! Topics examined will include linguistics, poetry, traditional chanting techniques from around the world, beatboxing, and experimental group improv singing exercises.
- May 7: Queer Oral Histories | Explore a collection of oral history archives from the south including the Southern Oral History Program at UNC-Chapel Hill and grassroots efforts to preserve LGBTQ history at the Durham County Library and elsewhere. We’ll listen to a collection of sample histories and talk about how to preserve and cultivate oral histories in the Triad.
- May 14: Sound Art Experiments with Peter Pendergrass | Sound Art Experiments will explore a variety of strategies for generating, recording, and composing sound material. Utilizing some of the sound installations present at Elsewhere, found materials, our voices, and a computer, participants will have the opportunity to create and record performances, which could end up on the I Don’t Do Boxes “Out Loud” compilation! Along the way we’ll discuss some history of avant-garde composers, experimental music, and sound art.
- May 28: Music Video Production | Get ready to move. We’re going to storyboard, choreograph and perform a queer music video for the release of I Don’t Do Boxes inside (and maybe outside) the museum. We’ll learn how to frame a shot, create an interesting story and sync video and music together to create the next viral video of your dreams. Costumes and characters welcome.
I Don’t Do Boxes
I Don’t Do Boxes is a magazine exploring LGBTQ experience, published at Elsewhere and edited by a team of queer-identifying youth. We’re always looking for editors and stories. Visit idontdoboxes.org for more info!
ISSUE ONE: SCHOOL’S OUT!
The first issue of I Don’t Do Boxes collects over 30 artworks, stories, poems, comics and essays exploring queer southern experience and beyond. Launched on June 7, 2013, the issue was distributed to local schools and spaces around the Triad featuring advice, news, essays, youth commentary, lesson plans and ideas for organizing and sustaining Gay-Straight Alliances (GSA) at local schools. Download (PDF) | Purchase Online
ISSUE TWO: OUT LOUD
The second issue focuses on the power of song and voice, and feature original music, lyrics, stories and sound recordings. Selected submissions will be curated into a digital album with an accompanying zine of writings and artworks, and distributed to queer communities around the country. Download (PDF) | Purchase Online
Please join us for upcoming QueerLab workshops or help edit and curate the next issue of I Don’t Do Boxes!
- Who: QueerLab is open to LGBTQIA youth, allies and intergenerational communities. All are welcome!
- Where: QueerLab sessions are held at Elsewhere in downtown Greensboro, NC. (606 South Elm Street).
- Contact email@example.com for more information or questions!
Support & Partners
QueerLab is an Elsewhere collaboration with YouthSAFE, QORDS, the Guilford Green Foundation, and allies like you. Support QueerLab with a tax-deductible donation to help print and distribute I Don’t Do Boxes, and ensure future QueerLab sessions with LGBTQ youth in the Triad.
YOUR FUNDS DIRECTLY SUPPORT:
- An Innovative Publication: A publication made for and by LGBTQ-identifying youth
- Building Support Networks: A platform for creative community building in Greensboro and beyond
- Creative ways to Connect: Using video, music, and art to share stories
- Build a more Curious Culture: Furthering Elsewhere’s mission to find art in everyday life