QueerLab is a youth-led media project exploring LGBTQ experience in North Carolina. Each QueerLab session brings together an editorial team of queer identifying youth to publish I Don’t Do Boxes, and organize workshops focused on creative media production and digital storytelling.
QueerLab workshops will be held bi-weekly at Elsewhere every Wednesday evening from 6-8pm April 2 – June 6, 2014. I Don’t Do Boxes is also seeking editors and now accepting submissions for our second issue, exploring the power of song and voice, inviting musicians, spoken word artists, poets, queer communities and youth to submit lyrics, songs, writings and sound recordings. These submissions will be curated into a digital album and accompanying zine that will include stories, artworks and essays exploring queer experience. Click here for full details
During our Spring 2013 session, QueerLab released the first issue of a new magazine called I Don’t Do Boxes, collecting stories and artworks from around the region exploring queer southern experience. A series of hands-on community-based workshops were hosted every Thursday from March – June, 2013 at Elsewhere open to YouthSAFE youth, and intergenerational communities. The first issue of I Don’t Do Boxes launched on June 7, distributed to local schools and spaces around the Triad featuring advice, news, essays, youth commentary, lesson plans and ideas for organizing and sustaining Gay-Straight Alliances (GSA) at local schools. Purchase Online here
Support QueerLab with a tax-deductible donation to help print and distribute the first issue of I Don’t Do Boxes, and ensure future QueerLab sessions with LGBTQ youth in the Triad.
YOUR FUNDS DIRECTLY SUPPORT:
- An Innovative Publication: A publication made for and by LGBTQ-identifying youth
- Building Support Networks: A platform for creative community building in Greensboro and beyond
- Creative ways to Connect: Using video, music, and art to share stories
- Build a more Curious Culture: Furthering Elsewhere’s mission to find art in everyday life
Help share LGBTQ stories from the south
Please join us for upcoming QueerLab sessions!
- Who: QueerLab is open to LGBTQIA youth, allies and intergenerational communities. All are welcome!
- Where: QueerLab sessions are held at Elsewhere in downtown Greensboro, NC. (606 South Elm Street).
- When: The Spring 2014 session will begin in April 2014.
Contact Chris Kennedy at email@example.com for more information or questions!